Elevate Your Thanksgiving Sides with Jerky!
The Jerky Mama Speaks:
Wow! Thanksgiving is just about here. All of you jerky lovers, “Happy Thanksgiving from the Topanga’s Finest Home Team!” Today’s blog is dedicated to our Jerky Lovers that are looking for some fun day to day recipes. In the spirit of being thankful, here are a few ideas to “Elevate Your Thanksgiving Sides with Jerky!”
If you are the one cooking this year’s Thanksgiving feast and searching for some unique recipes, we offer up the following:
For a little Thanksgiving pre-snacking, create a fruit and cheese platter that you spice up by cutting up an assortment of our jerky for your hungry guests.
Now for the side dishes:
Sweet Potato Mash with Maple Bacon Jerky
- Sweet Potatoes
- 2% Milk
- Seasoning to taste (Salt, Pepper)
- Salted Butter
- 2 Bags of our 2 oz. Old Fashioned Maple Bacon Jerky
- Peel and wash your sweet potatoes. (Pro Tip: Count how many people are eating the sweet potato mash and use one sweet potato per person).
- Cut your sweet potatoes in large cubes
- Fill up a pot of water and add a dash of sea salt.
- Place your sweet potatoes in the pot and allow to boil. (Pro Tip: Cooking time will depend on how many potatoes you’ve used. To see if your potatoes are done, ensure that they are soft to the touch or a fork slides easily into them. Cooking time takes about 30 to 40 minutes.)
- Strain your sweet potatoes
- Place your strained sweet potatoes back in your pot
- Put 1 to 2 tablespoons of salted butter (depending on the number of guests)
- Mash your sweet potatoes with a potato masher or immersion blender. (Pro Tip: If you don’t own a potato masher or immersion blender, then use a fork to mash your potatoes, but ensure that are you are not scratching the bottom of your pot.)
- Add your 2% milk. Slowly add milk to your pot until your sweet potato mash is creamy.
- Season to taste: Add some sea salt, and pepper
- Take the premium strips of Old Fashioned Maple Bacon Jerky and cut them up into small, diced pieces. Sprinkle on top and enjoy!(Some people also like to sprinkle some tiny marshmallows on top)
You can also take the same recipe and make Old Fashioned Maple Bacon Jerky Mashed Potatoes by substituting Russet Potatoes.
Healthy Cobb Salad with Original Gourmet Beef Jerky or our Buffalo Blazin’ Chicken Jerky
Do you have a few picky eaters at the dinner table or some guests that are looking for some of the lighter Thanksgiving sides, then try a Cobb Salad with some extra protein power!
As mentioned above, we will provide ingredients and you can adjust the portions to how many guests you have.
- Fresh Spinach
- 2 Bags of our 3 oz. Original Gourmet Beef Jerky or our Blazin’Buffalo Style Chicken Jerky
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Grape Tomatoes
- Olive Oil
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Lemon Juice
(Pro-tip: If you are already having turkey at the table, then cut up your jerky and have your guests adjust to their taste)
- Place spinach in a bowl
- On a cutting board, dice up your grape tomatoes, avocado, and hard-boiled eggs.
- In a separate bowl, mix together your olive oil, lemon juice, Red Wine Vinegar, salt, and pepper! (That’s your healthy and light dressing)
- Cut up your jerky in small diced pieces and let your guests sprinkle as they please!
Vanilla Ice-cream with Maple Bacon Jerky or Pumpkin Pie with Maple Bacon Jerky
Don’t just serve ordinary desserts, elevate! Add some of our Maple Bacon Jerky on top of your Thanksgiving desserts. Either top your Vanilla Ice-cream (just trust us on this one) or on top of your Pumpkin Pie and be ready to wow your guests….and possibly send them into a food coma!
If you love fruit salad or ambrosia, like I do, then kick it up a notch by dicing up some of our blazing Chicken jerky and mixing it into the salad!
Ambrosia Salad with Blazin’ Buffalo Style Jerky
- 1 can of fruit salad
- Fresh diced pineapple
- Fresh apples diced up
- Sliced banana (dip it into orange juice to keep it from browning)
- 1 can mandarin orange slices
- 1 container of sour cream or yogurt
- 1 bag Blazin’ Buffalo Style Chicken jerky diced up
- 1 cup of shredded coconut
Blend all ingredients together and chill.
We hope you’ve enjoyed some of our unique ideas for thanksgiving!
If you use any of recipes, please feel free to send us some pictures, we’d love to see your Topanga’s Finest creations!
As always, we hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your friends and family!